‘Mastermind’ of $250M Minnesota Fraud Scheme Sentenced to 42 Years as Federal Charges Expand
Mastermind of 250M Minnesota theft scheme – On Thursday, Aimee Bock, the so-called “mastermind” behind a sprawling $250 million fraud operation in Minnesota, was handed a 500-month prison term. The sentence, nearly 42 years in total, came just over a year after Bock was convicted of wire fraud and bribery charges. Prosecutors argued that her actions had siphoned hundreds of millions of dollars in government aid, with only $50 million recovered so far. The ruling marked a pivotal moment in what has become one of Minnesota’s most significant federal fraud cases.
Minutes before the sentencing, federal officials unveiled new charges against 15 additional individuals accused of exploiting state and federal social service programs. These new accusations highlight the ongoing effort to dismantle a network that manipulated aid distribution, using tactics such as inflating staff counts and meal service numbers. The latest wave of charges underscores the scale of the deception, with over $90 million in taxpayer funds reportedly lost in the latest round of investigations.
“It’s a long sentence, and Aimee Bock did everything she could to earn it,” said Joe Thompson, a former assistant US attorney who was involved in the case. His comment came as he observed the sentencing from the courtroom, a role he once played in leading the prosecution.
Bock, founder of Feeding Our Future, was ordered to pay more than $242 million in restitution, a staggering amount that reflects the magnitude of the financial loss. Matthew Ebert, another prosecutor working on the case, emphasized the gravity of the situation. “No matter how you cut it, it is a massive figure,” he remarked, underscoring the long-term consequences of the fraud.
Bock’s sentencing took place under a cloud of national attention. The scheme became a focal point for the Trump administration, which used it to justify a crackdown on immigration in Minnesota. The move sparked protests and drew criticism from advocates who argued it unfairly targeted vulnerable communities. The controversy also cast a long shadow over Democratic Governor Tim Walz’s decision in January not to run for a third term, as public trust in state programs wavered.
The scandal emerged during the pandemic, when federal rules were relaxed to prevent economic collapse. Bock’s organization exploited these changes, redirecting funds intended for child nutrition and childcare support. “Covid led to a general abandonment of principles around protecting these programs,” said Dr. Mehmet Oz, administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, during a news conference held after the sentencing.
Following the verdict, defense attorney Kenneth U. Udiobok expressed his client’s resolve. “Ms. Bock will proceed to the next phase. She is devastated by the length of her sentence. But this is not the end of the road!” he stated, signaling that the legal battle might continue. Thompson and Ebert, who spearheaded the Feeding Our Future investigation for years, were among the spectators at the hearing, a role they once held as central figures in the case.
Interestingly, the prosecutors’ involvement was not without controversy. Earlier this year, several of them resigned from their positions amid disagreements with the Department of Justice over its handling of the shooting of Renee Good. The departure of these key figures added a layer of complexity to the ongoing case. However, their work in exposing the fraud remains a cornerstone of the investigation.
As Bock received her sentence, federal officials swiftly announced new charges. The announcement took place at the US Attorney’s Office in Minneapolis, where Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald addressed the media. “This is not the end of our work in Minnesota. This is not the end of the beginning of our work in Minnesota. This is the beginning of our work in Minnesota,” McDonald declared, emphasizing the administration’s commitment to rooting out corruption.
The new charges target individuals who allegedly used deceptive practices to siphon resources from Minnesota’s social service programs. One defendant is accused of manipulating the Federal Child Nutrition Program and a state initiative for childcare grants by fabricating meal counts. Another is alleged to have exaggerated the number of employees and their working hours at a child care center. These tactics, combined with falsified records, reveal a coordinated effort to exploit system weaknesses.
Among those charged is Fahima Mahamud, who had previously been accused of fraud tied to the Feeding Our Future program. Her business was featured in a December video by conservative content creator Nick Shirley, which gained widespread attention. The video highlighted alleged misconduct in the Twin Cities area, prompting public scrutiny. Mahamud, who has not yet entered a plea, remains under investigation as her attorney did not respond to CNN’s inquiries after the sentencing.
Some of the new allegations also point to fraudulent claims of autism diagnoses. Prosecutors allege that children were falsely labeled with autism to qualify for government benefits, a claim that McDonald called the “largest autism fraud scheme ever charged.” This aspect of the case adds another dimension to the accusations, suggesting a multifaceted strategy to bypass oversight.
The recent charges are part of an expanded “strike force” initiative in the Midwest, aimed at addressing fraud across multiple states. This effort reflects a broader strategy by federal authorities to tackle systemic abuses in social programs, particularly those that received increased funding during the pandemic. The scale of the deception, spanning both federal and state levels, has prompted a sustained legal campaign to hold offenders accountable.
Bock’s case, which began with her trial in 2025, has become a symbol of the challenges faced by government aid programs. Her sentence, while a major victory for prosecutors, also highlights the long-term impact of such schemes on public trust. As the investigation continues, the focus remains on uncovering the full extent of the fraud and ensuring those responsible face the consequences of their actions.

