Four bystanders tackle knife-wielding driver after car plows into crowd in Italy
Four Bystanders Stop Knife-Wielding Driver After Car Plows Into Pedestrians in Italy
Four bystanders tackle knife wielding driver – On Saturday, a vehicle struck a group of pedestrians in Modena, Italy, setting off a chain of events that led to an extraordinary act of bravery by four local citizens. According to the city’s mayor, Massimo Mezzetti, the driver of the car emerged from his vehicle wielding a knife, prompting immediate action from nearby residents. The mayor, speaking to state-owned news agency RAI, highlighted how the assailant was overpowered by the public, emphasizing the role of civilians in halting the attack. “The man who committed this act—what should I call him?—was a criminal who exited the car with a knife in hand,” Mezzetti said. “Four citizens, whom I deeply appreciate, subdued him and delivered him to law enforcement.”
“The madman, I don’t know what to call him, the criminal who committed this act, he got out of the car brandishing a knife,” Mayor Massimo Mezzetti told RAI. “Four citizens, whom I thank, captured him and handed him over to law enforcement.”
Details of the incident revealed that the attack occurred on Via Emilia, a bustling thoroughfare in the heart of Modena’s northern district. The public prosecutor confirmed that the collision left several pedestrians with severe injuries, including a woman whose legs were amputated after the car struck her head-on. “Two victims required the amputation of their lower limbs, and one of them remains in a critical condition,” the prosecutor added. The remaining injured individuals sustained a range of serious wounds, though the extent of their injuries has yet to be fully determined.
Following the crash, the suspect—identified as a 31-year-old man—attempted to flee the scene. However, his escape was thwarted by four bystanders who confronted him. “The man was also armed with a knife; they showed courage and great civic sense,” Mezzetti said, expressing gratitude for the quick response. One of the individuals involved in the takedown was slightly injured during the struggle, as noted by the mayor. The suspect’s actions, including the use of a blade, indicated a clear intent to harm both the public and individual victims.
“At the time of his arrest, he was not under the influence of psychotropic substances, so he appeared to be lucid,” Trillo said. “The investigative scenario is obviously evolving, and we cannot provide further information on this matter.”
Authorities have since detained the suspect, a second-generation Italian born in Bergamo, who holds a degree in business administration but is currently unemployed. The public prosecutor highlighted that the suspect had been referred to a mental health facility for schizoid personality disorder in 2022, though his whereabouts were unknown after a period of observation. “There was evident intent to endanger public safety, as well as the lives of the individual victims,” the prosecutor explained, noting that the attack took place at approximately 4:53 p.m. local time—a time when residents and shoppers were most active.
Witness accounts provided to Reuters added depth to the chaos. Luca Signorelli, an eyewitness, recounted how he was assisting a woman critically injured by the car when the driver tried to flee. “I chased him,” Signorelli said, detailing the struggle. “He disappeared behind a row of cars, then suddenly reappeared holding a knife in his hands.” A fight erupted as the four bystanders surrounded the suspect, with Signorelli sustaining two stab wounds—once to the heart and once to the head. “I managed to dodge one of the two, and during the other one I grabbed his wrist and blocked him,” he said, describing the tense confrontation.
“A fight broke out,” said Signorelli. “I was stabbed twice, once in the heart and once in the head. I managed to dodge one of the two, and during the other one I grabbed his wrist and blocked him.”
Another witness told Reuters that the woman who was struck was pinned against the front of a shop, with the force of the impact causing her legs to be severed. “He crushed her right up against the shop window,” one of the witnesses said, emphasizing the severity of the crash. The public prosecutor also confirmed that the suspect targeted three men as he attempted to flee, leaving one of them with stab wounds. This escalation of violence underscores the danger posed by the attacker, who seemed determined to evade capture.
Italy’s Foreign Minister, Antonio Tajani, praised the efforts of law enforcement in apprehending the suspect, stating on social media that he was in contact with the interior minister for further details. “I want to thank law enforcement for their swift action in stopping this dangerous individual,” Tajani said, acknowledging the critical role played by the police in containing the situation.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni interrupted her trip to Greece to visit Modena on Sunday, where she inspected the hospital and met with one of the injured men who had confronted the driver. In a social media message, she described the incident as “extremely serious,” expressing solidarity with the victims. “I express my closeness to the injured,” she wrote, underscoring the national concern over the attack.
The suspect is now being questioned at the local police station, with officials planning to release an update on the case. While the motive for the attack remains under investigation, the incident has sparked discussions about public safety and the importance of community vigilance. Mezzetti, reflecting on the event, emphasized the bravery of the four individuals who intervened. “These citizens demonstrated extraordinary courage, preventing further casualties and ensuring the suspect was taken into custody,” he said.
Modena’s mayor also acknowledged the ongoing impact of the incident, particularly on the woman whose legs were amputated. “The force of the crash pinned her against the shop, and her legs were severed in the process,” one witness explained, highlighting the tragic consequences of the attack. The hospital’s Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit director, Dr. Lesley De Pietri, confirmed that two of the injured victims are still hospitalized in extremely serious condition. “They remain in critical care, and their recovery is closely monitored,” De Pietri said.
As the investigation continues, officials are piecing together the events leading up to the attack. The suspect’s employment status and his mental health history are being scrutinized, with questions raised about potential triggers for the violence. Triolo, the prefect, noted that the man had no prior criminal record but had a documented history of schizoid personality disorder. “He was referred to the mental health center in 2022, but his case was not followed up consistently,” Triolo stated, adding that the suspect’s current state of mind appears stable.
The incident has become a focal point for public discourse in Italy, with officials and citizens alike emphasizing the need for increased safety measures. “This attack is a reminder of the vulnerability of public spaces, and we must remain vigilant,” Mezzetti said. The mayor’s gratitude toward the four bystanders has also drawn attention to the power of individual action in emergencies. “Their courage saved lives and prevented further harm,” he said, underscoring the role of civic responsibility in times of crisis.
Authorities are now working to determine the full sequence of events, including the suspect’s mental state and potential motivations. The case is expected to evolve as more information emerges, with the possibility of further charges or investigations into the driver’s actions. For now, the focus remains on the victims and the heroic efforts of the citizens who acted swiftly to stop the violence.
