WHO says Ebola risk now ‘very high’ in DR Congo
WHO Says Ebola Risk Now 'Very High' in DR Congo
WHO says Ebola risk now very - The World Health Organization (WHO) has upgraded the public health risk level for the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) from "high" to "very high," according to a recent update. This change comes as the agency assesses the evolving situation and the potential for further spread. Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus emphasized the gravity of the scenario during a press briefing, noting that the current data only reflects a portion of the outbreak’s true scale.
As of the latest report, 82 confirmed cases of Ebola have been documented in the DRC, with seven fatalities recorded. However, Tedros highlighted that these figures are likely underestimates, as the epidemic appears to be significantly larger. He estimated that approximately 750 individuals are suspected of having the virus, with 177 deaths attributed to it. "The outbreak is not yet fully contained, and the numbers could rise," he stated, underscoring the urgency of containment efforts.
“We know the epidemic in the DRC is much larger than what is currently reported,” said Tedros. “There are around 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, indicating that the situation is far more complex than initially thought.”
The current outbreak is attributed to the Bundibugyo virus, a less common strain of the Ebola family. Unlike the more frequently encountered Zaire virus, which has been the focus of several previous outbreaks, the Bundibugyo variant has limited research and no proven vaccine. This adds to the challenge of managing the crisis, as health officials must rely on existing treatment protocols and observational methods.
While the DRC remains the epicenter, the virus has begun to spill over into neighboring Uganda, where two confirmed cases have been identified and one death reported. This cross-border transmission raises concerns about regional cooperation and the need for coordinated responses. Meanwhile, a U.S. citizen who had been working in the DRC has been diagnosed with Ebola and is currently receiving treatment at Charité hospital in Berlin. The hospital confirmed that the individual is "severely weakened" but not critically ill at this stage.
“Because the course of the illness can change, he remains under close observation and is receiving treatment,” said a spokesperson at Charité hospital. “He is being cared for in the high-security area of the specialized isolation unit.”
The WHO has also noted that another U.S. national, identified as a high-risk contact, has been transferred to the Czech Republic for further monitoring. This underscores the global concern over the virus, even though Tedros stated that the risk for international spread remains low. “The global risk from the disease is still considered minimal,” he remarked, though he acknowledged the need for continued vigilance.
In the Netherlands, Radboud University Hospital reported on Friday that it had admitted a patient with a "low suspicion" of Ebola. The individual was placed in isolation while awaiting diagnostic tests, highlighting the proactive measures being taken by European healthcare systems to prevent any potential escalation. This case, while not confirmed, reflects the cautious approach being adopted in regions with no reported outbreaks.
Despite the heightened risk, the WHO maintains that the situation in the DRC is manageable with existing resources. However, the agency is urging governments and organizations to enhance surveillance, improve community engagement, and secure additional funding for medical supplies and personnel. "The DRC has demonstrated resilience in previous outbreaks, but this one is testing the limits of their capacity," Tedros added.
Ebola, first identified in 1976 in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo, is a severe and often fatal illness. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), up to 90% of cases can result in death, with symptoms including high fever, extreme weakness, gastrointestinal distress, and vomiting. The virus spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected person, making it particularly dangerous in areas with limited healthcare infrastructure.
With the outbreak now classified as "very high" risk, experts are calling for a unified strategy to address both local and global challenges. The DRC’s health authorities, in collaboration with the WHO, are working to identify new cases, isolate affected individuals, and educate communities about transmission risks. However, the spread into Uganda and the presence of a U.S. citizen in Europe suggest that the virus may be more widespread than previously thought.
Tedros emphasized the importance of maintaining public confidence in the response efforts. "The global community must remain informed and engaged, as every case brings us closer to understanding the virus’s behavior in this region," he stated. The WHO has also recommended increasing support for local healthcare workers, who are on the front lines of the fight against the outbreak.
As the situation develops, the DRC is under pressure to sustain its efforts in controlling the epidemic. The country has already faced multiple Ebola outbreaks, and this one is no exception. The latest update serves as a reminder of the virus’s unpredictable nature and the critical need for sustained vigilance. While the global risk is deemed low, the rapid spread of the Bundibugyo virus could lead to significant challenges if containment measures are not strengthened.
International collaboration has been a key component of the response, with countries like the United States and the Czech Republic playing a role in supporting treatment and isolation efforts. This global involvement highlights the interconnectedness of public health crises and the importance of shared resources in managing them. As the WHO continues to monitor the outbreak, the focus remains on preventing further transmission and ensuring that affected individuals receive timely care.
With the risk level now at its highest, the DRC is expected to face increased scrutiny and pressure to demonstrate effective control of the virus. The outbreak serves as a critical test for the country’s healthcare system and its ability to manage a severe health crisis. The WHO’s updated assessment provides a clear signal that the situation is worsening, and that immediate action is required to mitigate its impact.